I think growing up I was oblivious to gestures that were made towards me unless they were really obvious. I'm not talking about someone giving you the middle finger or sticking their tongue out at you but changing their plans to accommodate me so that I could be there because *I* was important to them. As an adult, I'm more aware and I try to make these types of gestures whenever I can. Here are a few that have recently taken me by surprise (in a good way).
We have a terrific undergrad in the lab who, after 3.5 years with us, is graduating this weekend. The lab is having a graduation party tomorrow but I have to be at Elon so I can't make it. To thank me for all of the help I've given him and to thank me for all of the food I have provided him, he (read as his girlfriend) baked a cake for us to enjoy today. So sweet! I'm gonna miss that kid.
Mike and I are traveling to Chicago to find a place to live in a few weeks. I told the chair of my new department that we'd be in town and asked him for some recommendations on places to look. In addition to LOTS of good advice, he is hosting a departmental BBQ at his house while we are there to welcome us. So thoughtful!
I was working at the desk the other night on my last lecture (!) and Mike came over and gave me a big hug and kiss and said "I'm so lucky to have you". Of course he is correct and wins for best gesture of the week! The only thing that would have made that gesture better was if it was accompanied by something chocolate :)
No comments:
Post a Comment