Friday, December 21, 2012

A good problem to have

The job interviews went well.  I really liked the people and school in the coldest place but the geographic location to a job for Mike was not ideal.  I really liked the location of the not as cold place but the school/department were not ideal.  Both schools offered me jobs.  I have been thinking and rethinking what taking these jobs would mean.  Job 1 (cold) would provide me with a lot of professional satisfaction with excellent colleagues and excellent support but our quality of life would be less because of hour long commutes for both Mike and I.  Job 2 (less cold) would be a great quality of life near family and 20 min commutes for both of us but I see real challenges at that school and professionally I would not be as happy.  So what do I do???

After days of agonizing over this decision (and ruining my vacation in California) we have decided that in this case nothing is better than either job.  I have two potential job interviews coming up which only gives me a 1/3 chance of getting a job but I'm going to be picky.  I said I was going to try this college professor thing but in the end, quality of life with my family is the most important thing to me.

If you can, keep your fingers crossed that one of the others works out otherwise our adventures will continue in NC.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment